Choosing the best candidate when it comes to recruiting is much like those times when you had to pick buddies from a line up to be on your team’s side. It can be tough to know who will do the job the best just by initial looks.
So, to avoid disappointment and a struggle to get rid of someone, ensure your recruitment process is top dollar.
Consider these tips:
1. Have a virtual pre-interview where you can ask industry/job specific questions – this can be a good way to gauge where the person is at, how much they know, should know, and whether they suit the company culture
2. Set up online tests and/or assessments – these can help you ascertain whether they have the knowledge base, and the skills (both soft and hard) for the position.
3. Give them onsite tests – this can prove to be a little tougher to orchestrate but can pretty much solidify whether they can handle the work required of them, and handle any possible stresses (well, as close as you can give it through a test or test project)
4. Be vigilant and precise when speaking to references – while most times a reference will not say anything bad about the person, all it takes is pertinent and direct questions to see what they are not willing to answer.
5. Bring them in for a dummy day – putting them into the exact situations they would encounter if they worked there, can really be an eye-opener. They will need to interact with existing staff, perhaps pick up a few calls, put a proposal together, deal with queries, and you can monitor and view all of this without having to employ them.
At the end of the day, employing someone is a serious matter, both for you, the recruiter or employer, and for the candidate. They want to know they can do the job and that they will enjoy working there, and you want to know they will be a keeper and be there for a long time. The cost of hiring someone, training them up, spending valuable time and money on them, can never be replaced. Make sure from the start you are hiring the best person for the job the first time around.
Be ready for our amazing recruitment platform, launching soon, where we will assist you in this vetting process.